Here is a chart on challenges that network face in their communications.
|Network Communication Challenge
|People are in different organizations and use different communications tools and platforms.
- Need to decide on a set of platforms and tools and provide training to network participants
- Practice groups will need design session for their comm ecosystem – then need to check-in and coach to make sure they are using
- Need to encourage people to become tech stewards to help people out
- Encourage participants to “learn how to learn” and try out many different platforms
- Encourage people to recommend new platforms
|People are often used to one-way communication and are not used to initiating conversation or even information.
|Network activities are often only a small part of the individual’s work (or volunteer) life so it’s harder for them to stay on top of the actions they have committed to do.
- Need to find out ways to push messages to people through email and text loops
- Need to set up reminders through calendars or project management
- Use Google docs so people know where to go for list of what they agreed to do
- Coordinators need to send out reminders frequently
|People in networks often don’t know each other or know each other well.
- Continually encourage people to reach out to others (Twosies) and create charts and/or surveys that group people by interests so they know they will have something in common with the person they call
- Make sure that video calls have time for introductions and breakout rooms
- Need to make it a norm to Close triangles; start with proto-governance group
|People in one practice group will not know what is going on in others or know what network guardians are doing
- This is the hardest
- Set up incentive system for sharing
- Ask specific people to share stories from their practice group in enewsletter and Facebook
- Have proto gov group seek out stories
|People need continual feedback about whether they and their various groups are acting in a network way
- Set up tracking system (Network FitBit) and engage all parts of the network in using, analyzing results, and developing strategies to shift
- Capture stories (and encourage people to make short videos) that capture learnings and give examples